Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Continental Knitting

I am pretty much a self taught knitter. A friend showed me how to Cast on , Knit and Bind off. Everything else I have learned through pictures in books, videos on the internet and good old trial and error. When I was originally taught to knit, I was shown the throw method of knitting. I am slow and I have always heard that Continental Knitting is way faster, so this year I decided to teach myself that too:) I have been having problems from how to make sure my gauge is correct and making sure I am knitting, holding my yarn correctly etc. I think I may be a little closer to understanding how to do it and getting it done right. But, I am still having problems with how to do it right!

Does anyone out there know a good way to learn, have you found or written a great picture tutorial on Continental Knitting, or a video, or a helpful hint, leave a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

kasiaiscarly said...

Have you watched the videos on Knitting Help? I find them the most helpful, but I think a lot of it is just getting 'used' to it. I knew how to crochet before I learned to knit, so the continental came easy, but everyone else in my learn to knit class went English because the continental felt wacky to them.

Tami said...

I spent about 2 hours last night just knitting and I think I am getting the hang of it, I am just having a hard time with how to hold the yarn, it keeps slipping off my fingers!

beginnerknitter said...

I'm self taught too. I learned everything from a pamphlet you can pick up at AC Moore or Michaels - its called " I can't believe I'm Knitting" its really 70's and cheesy but it worked for me.

As for me i don't hold the yarn i just kind of guide it along with my thumb or something- it works for me but my gauge is loose. I fix that by going down a needle size or two from the recommended one to attain gauge. I can't seem to hold yarn over my finger and throwing really annoys me and cuts back on time.

Good luck!

Mildred said...

Good for people to know.